Namaste friends welcome to my blog I am Shashi Gossain. Our today’s topic is Kama sutra. Today we gonna talk about what Kama Sutra is. This is a too interesting topic to talk about. There are so many misconceptions about Kama Sutra such as Kama Sutra is all about sex positions or it is pornography and many more.
What is Kama Sutra?
Is Kama Sutra pornography?
Is Kama Sutra all about Sex position?
So, let’s start with…
What is Kama Sutra?
The Kama Sutra is an ancient Hindu text on Sex & emotional fulfilment. It is the first sexual code ever written in this world, in which there is detailed explanation and interpretation of psychoanalytic principles and sexual love.
Vatsyayana has mainly explain the ‘Dharma (Religion)’, ‘Arth (Economy)’ and ‘Kama(Sex)’ in Kama Sutra. Vatsyayana claimed that this scripture is a guide of religion and social rules for husband and wife. According to this scripture couples who leave a married life, who follows Kama Sutra, will be always happy from the point of view of kama(Sex), husband and wife will be satisfied with each other for a lifetime.
In other words, It was written as a guide for:
- The art of living well
- The nature of love
- Finding a life partner
- Maintaining one’s love life
- and other aspects pertaining to pleasure-oriented faculties of human life e.g sex
The Kama Sutra uses a mixture of prose and poetry, and the narration has the form of dramatic fiction involving two characters, named the nayaka(man) and nayika (woman).
History of Kama Sutra
Kama Sutra is a book was written in Sanskrit by Vatsyayana some 2,000 years ago, although archaeological sites have found references to the Vedas stating Kama Sutra, dating back to more than 4000 years ago.
Some researcher also says that Kama Sutra has been returned in third century since then it is popular and used by world. Many editions have also been published. ‘Jaymangala Bhashya’ is one of them.
Kama Sutra is comprises of 1250 verses, distributed over 36 chapters in 64 sections, organised into 7 books.
Most of the older Hindu temples had carvings of Kama-related arts. Of these, the Khajuraho Temple in Madhya Pradesh(India) is a UNESCO world heritage site.
Basics of Kama Sutra
It acknowledges that for a balanced life, basic human needs:
- Emotional fulfilment
The majority of the book is about the philosophy and theory of love, what triggers desire, what sustains it, and how and when it is good or bad.
It also has chapters that discuss:
- Methods for courtship
- Training in the arts to be socially engaging
- Finding a partner
- How to be physically attractive
- Use of stimulants
- Taking care of one’s sexual organs
- Maintaining power in a married life
- Sexual positions
- Group sex
Some misconceptions about Kama Sutra
Kama Sutra only describes various type of sex positions:
Kama Sutra describes various type of sex positions but it is not only about sex positions. Only 20% of entire book is about it. 79 sexual positions have been described in this book.
Kama Sutra has become outdated:
Although Kama Sutra written 2000 year ago but this knowledge is equally useful today, because sexual behaviour of human still the same as it was thousands of years ago.
- Panchsahayak by Jyotirishwar
- Nagarsarvasv by Padmashrigyan
- Ratimanjari by Jaidev
- Ratirahasya by kakkok
- Anangrang by Kalyan Mall.
What does Kama Sutra says about first night:
- Sleep on the ground for the first three days after marriage and do not think about sex.
- Do not use salt in food for first three days.
- For the next seven days husband and wife should understand each other, eat together, this will strengthen their relationship.
- On the 10th day the husband should go closer to the wife and make her feel comfortable.
- Then the husband should feed his wife the Basil leaf (Paan). If she eats Paan then it will mean that she also wants to have sex.
- If she refuses, then he request. If he have to join hands and kneel down before her, he should do it and should not force himself on her.
- If the wife agrees then the husband should move ahead to kiss her.
Is Kama Sutra pornography?
If someone says that Kama Sutra is pornography, it would be completely wrong, it’s a misconception. Kama Sutra is not written as pornography but it is a textbook of sexuality. Kama Sutra is all about sex education. It is the best mean to acquire that knowledge which is an important part of the life of every living being. Sex education is as important as other skills. Sex education helps us to understand the concept of sex to gain skills, information and motivation to make healthy decision about sex and sexuality.